New Hope Rescue

Monty came to us from one of those "Come get this horse or he's off to the auction tomorrow" calls. I was
told that at one time, he was a very successful hunter/jumper show horse, but somehow fell into a bad home
where he nearly died of starvation. The woman who rescued him did the best she could, but as a single
mom she soon realized he was more than she could handle. He was sent to live at another barn where he
was stalled most of the time and once again not given the care he needed. He developed behavioral
problems such as weaving and cribbing. When I went to get him, he was obsessively weaving to the point
that he only stopped when he was walking!! He was underweight, had rain rot, thrush and a heavy parasite

Within a week of coming here, given freedom to roam the pastures and make friends with the other
animals, Monty was a new horse... not only has he never once cribbed here, but his weaving stopped and
has never resurfaced. He quickly became Uncle Monty to all the other animals here; he is an excellent

He must have been badly beaten at some point, as he is terrified of any type of stick, broom, rake, etc. in
your hands. All this time here, and he's never lost that fear. Monty is nothing but love through and through;
he is a big, gentle, kind, laid back, super sweet soul. I can't fathom him being hurt on purpose.

Monty is now in his early thirties, and has gone deaf over the last year. He can no longer chew hay, so he
needs chopped forage along with his senior feed, but other than that he is fat, happy, and one of the most
loving horses I've ever met. He still races around the pasture from time to time, just to let us know he's still
got his stuff!
But... why CAN'T I come in??
UNCLE MONTY-- he is the most
patient, accepting horse I've ever met!!
Monty is a permanent resident.
July 4, 2007: Our dear Monty has passed over the rainbow bridge.... and our farm will never be the
same without his calm, steady, patient influence. We buried him next to his old friend Pearl, and I hope
they are racing through the heavens together.

We believe Monty possibly had a tumor which was pressing on his intestines, as he colicked three
times within two weeks. While the vet was not able to determine this definitely, at the time of the third
colic it  was apparent that his digestive system was shutting down despite there being no apparent
twisting or blockage. We decided that at his age, he was not a candidate for surgery and he had tried
hard enough to rally. He was tired, his eyes were sunken and sad, and we knew it was time to let go.

We love you, Monty. Fly free in the clouds.